Time and time again we are presented with studies proving the health benefits of eating fresh fruit and vegetables every day. In Ireland the HSE’s official guidelines are to eat up to seven servings a day of vegetables, salad & fruit every day. Other sources recommend eating 10 servings per day! As well as helping you to keep a healthy weight, the benefits include reduced the risk of heart attack, stroke, cancer and premature death. Here are five great reasons to tuck in:
- Fruit and vegetables are filling and low in calories, making them a great choice to help you lose weight or maintain a healthy waistline
- Veggies and fruits are loaded with vitamins, minerals, fibre and antioxidants, which have been shown to protect against chronic diseases such as heart disease and cancer
- Eating a wide variety of veggies of all different colours will not only provide a wide range of health benefits but it will also make a plate look great
- They taste great! If you’re bored of plain old boiled veg then make it interesting by adding herbs & spices or trying some great new veggie recipes
- Fruit & veggies are full of vitamins & minerals to help you have more energy & feel generally awesome!
When you can opt for local produce that’s in season or even better, grow it yourself. Check out the Grow it yourself website to get started: https://giy.ie/